WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Justin Verlander thinks the free-agent process is broken. Still, he says that’s not why he decided to sign a new deal with the Houston Astros rather than test the market.
I can’t see a better situation,” Verlander said Sunday after the Astros announced a three-year contract that added $66 million in guaranteed money for 2020 and ’21.
A 36-year-old right-hander, Verlander had been due $28 million in 2019, the final guaranteed season of a $180 million, seven-year deal he signed with Detroit before the 2013 season.
His new deal followed two straight slow free-agent markets and came after agreements during spring training on long-term deals for Colorado third baseman Nolan Arenado, Boston left-hander Chris Sale and St. Louis first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, who all would have been part of the free-agent class after this season. In addition, the Los Angeles Angels gave a record $426.5 million, 12-year contract to outfielder Mike Trout, who could have become a free agent after the 2020 season.
The Texas Sports Monthly PODCAST
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- UT Athletics announces 2023 Spring Commencement participantsA total of 111 current and former UT student-athletes are scheduled to participate in commencement exercises this weekend or are projected spring or summer 2023 graduates.
- The Longhorn Foundation launches the United Texas CircleThe United Texas Circle is a philanthropic giving society designed to support Texas Athletics across their greatest areas of need.