When it comes down to the big question, who will start at quarterback for Texas, the answer is as clear as day. It’s Sam Ehlinger, full stop.
Look, Shane Buechele isn’t a bad guy, or even a bad quarterback. Tom Herman is in a great position here, he has to pick between two solid quarterbacks.
Sam is more than a statline, but his statline is great. He threw for 380 yards on a Bill Snyder coached Kansas State team. That doesn’t happen every day. And in the same game, he rushed for 107 yards, and had a highlight moment truck of a K-State DB.
He nearly led the Longhorns to victory in overtime against USC, and he finally accomplished the overtime win. Statistically, by wins and losses, Ehlinger leads Buechele on the season, 2-1 vs. 1-2.
It’s not merely a statline though…Ehlinger has “it”.
It’s the it you talk about with a capital I, the it that stands for pure moxie, swagger, whatever you want to call it. He’s simply a leader on the field, in a way that comes naturally. With Shane Buechele at the helm, it feels possible that Texas comes back. With Sam Ehlinger leading the charge, it feels inevitable that Texas returns to glory.
And that’s all it will take, is time. The Longhorns are insanely young, the two young men we’re talking about aren’t juniors yet.
It’s not a hard call for Herman. You play the hot hand, the guy that gives you the best chance to win, the chance to finally make it back to the limelight. That man is Sam Ehlinger, and he’ll prove it time and time again.
The Longhorns have Oklahoma next, and if Sam Ehlinger doesn’t trot out to take the first snap, it’ll be a colossal mistake on Herman’s part. He’s got the stats and he’s got the guts. The only thing missing is the go-ahead from the boss.
The Texas Sports Monthly PODCAST
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- UT Athletics announces 2023 Spring Commencement participantsA total of 111 current and former UT student-athletes are scheduled to participate in commencement exercises this weekend or are projected spring or summer 2023 graduates.
- The Longhorn Foundation launches the United Texas CircleThe United Texas Circle is a philanthropic giving society designed to support Texas Athletics across their greatest areas of need.