The Westlake Chaps have been dominant in regular season play and look to continue their streak in the second round of the playoffs. A team that is used to winning expects to win. They handled the Cibolo Steele Knights convincingly 30-7 in the first round with ease.
Up next are the Brennan Bears at Texas State stadium over in San Marcos, last year they cruised to a 49-7 win, but Coach Dodge doesn’t want to look past them as they travel down IH-35. “We’re very excited to play at Texas State stadium we haven’t played there. Brennan is a very good team, we played them last year, but it didn’t show how well of a team they were, we jumped on them early.”
Coach wanted to make sure the Chaps doesn’t overlook their opponent. With just one loss this entire season he understands not to look at their next challenge. Every game is important. This week Coach Dodge wanted his team to take in this is a whole new year. “They (team) understand that Brennan is 9-2, they’re good and a very athletic team.” A one game at a time approach. A great team is disciplined and continues to get better.
Coach Dodge has one phrase of how his guys will respond when he needs them to make plays. “Next one in line.” Dodge believes in his players, no matter the conditions. He’s led them to a near perfect season. Westlake’s lone loss came against Lake Travis as they lost by one. Close games will not be an issue for his team.
As the next playoff stage of teams get ready to play it will all come down to coaching. Coach Dodge has earned himself as Central Texas’s top tier coaches.As the playoffs filter out the elite teams closing out their games let’s hope Westlake will stand victorious in San Marcos.
FRIDAY NIGHT COUNTDOWN WEEK 11
- No. 2 Volleyball set to host Austin Regional Dec. 13-14Texas will play Louisville, hosts Minnesota, Florida on Friday, Dec. 13
- No. 5 Women’s Swimming & Diving finishes third at Minnesota InviteA second-place finish in the 400 Free Relay wraps up 2019 Minnesota Invite.
- No. 1 Men’s Swimming & Diving claims Minnesota Invite titleOn the final day of the 2019 Minnesota Invite, five hit A Cut times.
- Indoor Track and Field opens season at FasTrak Collegiate OpenerThe Longhorns won nine events and set nine PRs on Saturday in Houston.
- UT Athletics announces 2019 Fall Commencement participantsA total of 36 current and former UT student-athletes are scheduled to participate in commencement exercises on Saturday or are projected fall 2019 graduates.
- No. 2 Volleyball moves on to the NCAA Regional SemifinalThe Texas Longhorns come from behind to take down UCSB, 3-2