(AUSTIN, TX) The Fight for Equality in American Sports examines the intersection of social justice and sports in the United States. The exhibition celebrates athletes who have broken barriers and spoken out for equality, both on and off the playing field.
Get in the Game begins at the turn of the nineteenth century by exploring the experiences of athletes of color in the early days of organized American sports and how those athletes contributed to the development of modern day athletics. “From Jack Johnson (recently pardoned by President Donald J. Trump) to Jackie Robinson and Billie Jean King to Jason Collins and Ibtihaj Muhammad, Get in the Game reflects sports as an indelible platform toward our ongoing quest for civil rights and social justice for all Americans,” said Mark K. Updegrove, President and CEO, LBJ Foundation.
The exhibition continues through to current day, stopping along the way to spotlight athletes and events that have contributed to or changed conversations around issues of race, gender, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and religion in the United States.
By connecting beloved sports figures and defining athletic moments within the greater context of American history, visitors of all ages will learn about the courage of these leaders and view current sports issues in a discerning light. An interactive social media wall encourages an ongoing conversation about equality in sports. #LBJGetInTheGame
- Stephen Curry, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and LeBron James autographed jerseys
- Olympic Fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad’s hijab, mask, and jacket
- Michael Jordan’s first Nike Air Jordan Sneakers and others from 1985-2000
- Venus and Serena Williams’ 2008 Olympic uniforms
- Muhammad Ali’s autographed boxing gloves
- Billie Jean King’s tennis dress
- Jackie Robinson’s game-worn pants and autographed baseball
- Jim Brown’s shoulder pads and autographed football
- Jesse Owens’ diary from the 1936 Olympics in Berlin
- Lee Trevino’s glove and hat
- Negro League baseball jerseys and cleats
- Black Fives Era basketball artifacts
- All-American Girls Professional Baseball League artifacts
- Colin Kaepernick and Colt McCoy autographed football
And lots more!
Generous support of the exhibition is provided by The University of Texas at Austin.
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- Seven Longhorns named 2021 Dr. Gerald Lage Academic Achievement Award recipientsAriola, Cooper, Hepa, Krueger, Nevins, Strouphauer and Sullivan earn Big 12 Conference's highest academic honor.
- Plonsky joins United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee in announcing phase one concepts of USOPC College Sports Sustainability Think TankAs a member of the USOPC College Sports Sustainability Think Tank, Texas Athletics Chief of Staff Chris Plonsky joined the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee to announce its phase one priorities, which includes three concepts focused on sport sustainability, sport structure and vertical partnerships. The concepts were generated through three working groups, which convened […]