ARLINGTON — The Westlake Chaparrals have finished yet another season of Texas high school football unbeaten, unchallenged and unequaled.
Westlake (16-0) capped a rare three-peat after defeating Denton Guyer 40-21 Saturday night at AT&T Stadium in Arlington during the Class 6A Division II state championship game. The win gives legendary head coach Todd Dodge his second career three-peat, as he won in 2004, 2005 and 2006 with Southlake Carroll before claiming titles in 2019, 2020 and 2021 with the Chaps.
It was also the final game for Dodge, who steps away with Westlake riding an incredible 40-game winning streak.
“They’re going down in very rarified air,” Dodge said of his 2021 team. “To win back-to-back-to-back state championships, there’s only about five or six in the history of the state of Texas that have done it, and now we’re going to be a part of that.”
Guyer (14-2) made things interesting with a quick flurry in the first half that led to a surprising 14-13 halftime lead. However, Westlake turned on the afterburners in the last 24 minutes to accelerate past Guyer for good.
The Chaps outscored the Wildcats 27-7 after intermission to hoist yet another championship trophy.
“That was gritty,” Doddge said of his team’s effort in the second half. “I knew these kids had it in them. I knew they were not going to leave this three-year window and be remembered as a team that folded after one bit of adversity. They believed and they fought their tails off against a great Guyer team.”
Wildcats quarterback Jackson Arnold twice answered Westlake scores in the first half, as he ran in a 15-yard touchdown before finding Jace Wilson on a 9-yard score that put Guyer up by a single point at intermission.
The Chaps regrouped out of the locker room and saw Cade Klubnik hit Bryce Chambers for a 15-yard TD pass to give Westlake a 20-14 lead. Guyer rebounded and vaulted ahead once again following a 6-yard scoring run by Arnold, but the Wildcats were held in check for the remainder of the contest.
Meanwhile, Klubnik began to cook.
After Charlie Barnett set a new state championship game record with a 53-yard field goal to give the Chaparrals a 23-21 edge, the senior signal caller ended the third period with a 69-yard TD strike to Jaden Greathouse.
Klubnik then opened the fourth with a back-breaking score in which he found Greathouse for a 71-yard TD. Mark Sayegh tacked on a late field goal as Westlake cruised to a 19-point win in front of more than 32,000 fans in Arlington.
Klubnik finished the game 14 of 21 passing for 280 yards and four TDs, while Greathouse hauled in seven passes for 236 yards and three scores while setting a new state championship record for receiving yards in a contest and earning Offensive Player of the Game honors.
Klubnik added 66 rushing yards on eight carries.
Westlake’s defense also made history by tying a single-game state championship record with nine total sacks. The Chaps saw defensive ends Colton Vasek and Ethan Burke tally three and two sacks, respectively.
As for Dodge, he said after the game it’s time for him to finally enjoy some family time after helping Westlake build one of the most dominant dynasties in Texas history.
“I’ve got three beautiful grandchildren in the DFW area and I want to be a pawpaw and be around those guys,” Dodge said. “Elizabeth and I, at least here for a little while, are going to act like we’re retired.”
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- Bless the MoodMen's and Women's Basketball begin their first season in Moody Center.
- Grupo Fantasma to perform at Longhorn City Limits pres by Still Austin WhiskeyAustin-based Grupo Fantasma will perform at Longhorn City Limits presented by Still Austin Whiskey following the Texas-Iowa State game on October 15!