Lake Travis has been San Antonio Madison’s bugaboo for some time now. That proved to be the case again on Friday when the Cavaliers knocked the Mavericks out of the playoff for the fourth straight year with a 49-21 victory at Rattler Stadium in San Marcos, TX.
With star quarterback Hudson Card still on the shelf from the foot injury he suffered against Westlake, Lake Travis leaned on junior running back Weston Stephens, who paced the offense with 20 carries for 165 yards and three touchdowns. It was the fourth time in five games he’s hit the century mark in rushing after doing it zero times before. He also had five catches for 61 yards.
Junior quarterback Nate Yarnell was 19-of-25 for 239 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. With 1:41 left in the half and Lake Travis leading only 14-7, Yarnell engineered a perfect two-minute drill. He completed five-of-six passes to march the Cavaliers 58 yards on nine plays, the last a four-yard touchdown toss to senior Grayson Sandlin (six receptions, 78 yards) with 15 seconds left on the clock.
Lake Travis’s defense had the Mavericks’ attack completely out of sorts until the fourth quarter. Madison scored on only one of its first nine possessions, and that scoring drive was aided by two 15-yard face-mask penalties and culminated with a strange touchdown pass on a broken play.
With the score 35-7 late in the third quarter, senior
linebacker Maui Trevino intercepted a pass and returned it to Madison’s
12. Three plays later, Lake Travis gave one of their big guys some love
as senior guard Andrew Salem (6-foot-2, 270 pounds) rumbled four yards
for touchdown to effectively ice the game.
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- Longhorn Network set to televise 20 Texas Basketball games during the 2020-21 seasonLHN will televise both the women's (SMU, 1 p.m. CT) and men's (UTRGV, 7 p.m. CT) season openers on Wednesday, Nov. 25.
- "Big 12 Basketball Preview" to air on Big 12 Now on ESPN+The show features each of the men's and women's basketball programs, and all 10 episodes are available on Nov. 20.