Texas will get a chance to execute some much needed revenge against its 2006 National Title rival USC at DKR in Austin this weekend. Texas who was an underdog in last years contest at the Trojans came up just three points short in a double overtime thriller loosing 27-24 when freshman Chase McGrath hit a walk-off field goal to end the game.
Things are different this season as the music has changed song and to another venue for this renewed rivalry of recent years. Vince Young and Matt Leinart danced to their own tune with Texas’ 41-38 victory in that famous Rose Bowl match-up 13 years ago.
This year we get to witness the trilogy conclusion in this exciting match-up this weekend.
Sam Ehlinger’s turnovers last season as a freshman were key in the Trojans victory.
However, last year the game in Los Angeles was scoreless until 2:40 before halftime. The Longhorns tied the game shortly after when Darnold’s pass was tipped off receiver Jalen Greene’s hands and DeShon Elliott caught it for a 38-yard TD interception return.
The Trojans this year are coming off a loss as QB JT Daniels went 16-34 for 215 yards and threw two late 4th quarter interceptions against Stanford last week. It was far from his performance against UNLV in week 1 in the 2nd half.
While Texas’ defense has beefed up some despite loosing some big names like Elliot and Conner Williams, the horns escaped with a W at home last week hosting the Golden Hurricane. Unlike the Maryland game in week 1 the Longhorns took a 21-0 lead into half and coming out with a quick start at DKR against Tulsa. Both these teams sputtered offensively in the 2nd half of last weeks games. I think both teams will come out throwing the ball and being aggressive.
I’m not sure what the music will play out like this Saturday Night on the 40 acres, but If I had to guess, we are going to be tuned in for a good one. I expect this game to be a shootout with the edge slightly going to the Texas defense.
Horns enact some much needed revenge this week against the Trojans.
41-31 Texas wins.
COVER FEBRUARY 2019
Final Show # 16 Thurs Dec 20th Championship Week.
- Forty Acres Insider: Jan. 22Important news, interesting tidbits and exciting stories happening in and around Texas Athletics compiled by Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte.
- Swimming and Diving recognized as CSCAA Scholar All-American teamsTeams must have a roster of 12 or more student-athletes and register a GPA of 3.0 or higher for the honor
- Granic earns Big 12 Women’s Tennis Player of the Week honorsUT junior went 5-0 en route to claiming singles title at prestigious Freeman Memorial Championships.
- Video: A Homecoming To RememberMalcolm Roach grew up dreaming about playing in the Sugar Bowl and made the most of his opportunity.
- Texas Athletics places third in 2018 GameDay Recycling ChallengeLonghorns jump in standings due to overhaul of sustainability procedures on gameday.
- Video: LHN Tiffany Jackson WiredGo All-Access with Texas Women's Basketball assistant coach Tiffany Jackson.
By BARRY WILNER, AP Pro Football Writer KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The New...