Texas will get a chance to execute some much needed revenge against its 2006 National Title rival USC at DKR in Austin this weekend. Texas who was an underdog in last years contest at the Trojans came up just three points short in a double overtime thriller loosing 27-24 when freshman Chase McGrath hit a walk-off field goal to end the game.
Things are different this season as the music has changed song and to another venue for this renewed rivalry of recent years. Vince Young and Matt Leinart danced to their own tune with Texas’ 41-38 victory in that famous Rose Bowl match-up 13 years ago.
This year we get to witness the trilogy conclusion in this exciting match-up this weekend.
Sam Ehlinger’s turnovers last season as a freshman were key in the Trojans victory.
However, last year the game in Los Angeles was scoreless until 2:40 before halftime. The Longhorns tied the game shortly after when Darnold’s pass was tipped off receiver Jalen Greene’s hands and DeShon Elliott caught it for a 38-yard TD interception return.
The Trojans this year are coming off a loss as QB JT Daniels went 16-34 for 215 yards and threw two late 4th quarter interceptions against Stanford last week. It was far from his performance against UNLV in week 1 in the 2nd half.
While Texas’ defense has beefed up some despite loosing some big names like Elliot and Conner Williams, the horns escaped with a W at home last week hosting the Golden Hurricane. Unlike the Maryland game in week 1 the Longhorns took a 21-0 lead into half and coming out with a quick start at DKR against Tulsa. Both these teams sputtered offensively in the 2nd half of last weeks games. I think both teams will come out throwing the ball and being aggressive.
I’m not sure what the music will play out like this Saturday Night on the 40 acres, but If I had to guess, we are going to be tuned in for a good one. I expect this game to be a shootout with the edge slightly going to the Texas defense.
Horns enact some much needed revenge this week against the Trojans.
41-31 Texas wins.
COVER DECEMBER 2018
Player Of The Week – Taylor Anderson
- Video: Tuesday Coordinator media availabilityTodd Orlando and Tim Beck met with the media on Tuesday night ahead of Friday's game.
- Longhorns in the NFL: Week 12Colt McCoy was thrust into a starting role and will play the Cowboys on Thursday afternoon.
- Quotes: Football Tuesday media availabilityThe Longhorns prepare for Friday's game at Kansas and met with the media on Tuesday.
- Video: Tom Herman press conferenceTom Herman held his weekly press conference Monday before UT travels to face Kansas Friday.
- Hayes named Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball co-Newcomer of the WeekFreshman forward averaged 11.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game in pair of wins.
- Video: Shaka Smart media availabilityMen's Basketball head coach met with the local media Monday morning to preview the team's upcoming appearance at the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational.
/ 2 weeks ago
Bastrop had too much on the line to fold following a disastrous start. After...