The Longhorns will have a chance to play for a Big 12 Championship this season and possibly boast a 9-2 Record overall. At least that is the hope for this Texas Fan. But, the Horns will be better by a few wins this year due to an improved offense and a defense that is young and building a foundation. As Hunter Cooke pointed out the other day on this site, the Big 12 is the weakest conference out of the Power 5 in 2018.
Herman’s young team needs to improve on the offensive side of the ball this year if they are to get to double digit wins and his pair of young QBs will have to settle down sand have some composure in the pocket for this to happen this fall. The Texas class this spring was #3 in the nation and Herman’s quote from national signing day gave hope for the fan base on the 40 acres.
Key Quote: “There’s going to be a lot of competition on the defensive side. On both sides of the ball really. But I think we all can see, whoa, that side of the ball just got real in a hurry,” Herman said of the defensive outlook on National Signing Day. “To sign the three best safeties in the country (Caden Sterns and B.J. Foster), as well as what we think are the two best corners in the country, Jalen Green and D’Shawn Jamison, then the two best defensive tackles in the state in Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn, then the best pass-rusher in the state with Joseph Ossai, then Mike Williams and Daniel Carson as well.”
The defense led by Todd Orlando should be the a nice surprise in 2018. Brandon Jones is a big factor since the loss of DeShon Elliot to the NFL. DBU boast seniors Davante Davis, PJ Locke , & Kris Boyd, along with a several freshman defensive backs in Jalen Green, Anthony Cook, and Caden Sterns, along with Turner Symonds & BJ Foster. While we are optimistic this year after Herman’s first season going 7-6 with a bowl win, Horns fans are hungry for more than a mediocre season after some hard years under Charlie Strong. We think that the record will vastly improve this season and the record in 2018 will go up a few wins.
Our prediction is that Herman’s sophomore year will earn a few more wins in 2018 and gain back fans loyalty at Texas. The Horns should improve to a 9-2 record based on conference strength and a better looking offense and a young defense with several players returning.
COVER DECEMBER 2018
Player Of The Week – Taylor Anderson
- Video: Tuesday Coordinator media availabilityTodd Orlando and Tim Beck met with the media on Tuesday night ahead of Friday's game.
- Longhorns in the NFL: Week 12Colt McCoy was thrust into a starting role and will play the Cowboys on Thursday afternoon.
- Quotes: Football Tuesday media availabilityThe Longhorns prepare for Friday's game at Kansas and met with the media on Tuesday.
- Video: Tom Herman press conferenceTom Herman held his weekly press conference Monday before UT travels to face Kansas Friday.
- Hayes named Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball co-Newcomer of the WeekFreshman forward averaged 11.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game in pair of wins.
- Video: Shaka Smart media availabilityMen's Basketball head coach met with the local media Monday morning to preview the team's upcoming appearance at the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational.
/ 2 weeks ago
Bastrop had too much on the line to fold following a disastrous start. After...