Texas will get a chance to execute some much needed revenge against its 2006 National Title rival USC at DKR in Austin this weekend. Texas who was an underdog in last years contest at the Trojans came up just three points short in a double overtime thriller loosing 27-24 when freshman Chase McGrath hit a walk-off field goal to end the game.
Things are different this season as the music has changed song and to another venue for this renewed rivalry of recent years. Vince Young and Matt Leinart danced to their own tune with Texas’ 41-38 victory in that famous Rose Bowl match-up 13 years ago.
This year we get to witness the trilogy conclusion in this exciting match-up this weekend.
Sam Ehlinger’s turnovers last season as a freshman were key in the Trojans victory.
However, last year the game in Los Angeles was scoreless until 2:40 before halftime. The Longhorns tied the game shortly after when Darnold’s pass was tipped off receiver Jalen Greene’s hands and DeShon Elliott caught it for a 38-yard TD interception return.
The Trojans this year are coming off a loss as QB JT Daniels went 16-34 for 215 yards and threw two late 4th quarter interceptions against Stanford last week. It was far from his performance against UNLV in week 1 in the 2nd half.
While Texas’ defense has beefed up some despite loosing some big names like Elliot and Conner Williams, the horns escaped with a W at home last week hosting the Golden Hurricane. Unlike the Maryland game in week 1 the Longhorns took a 21-0 lead into half and coming out with a quick start at DKR against Tulsa. Both these teams sputtered offensively in the 2nd half of last weeks games. I think both teams will come out throwing the ball and being aggressive.
I’m not sure what the music will play out like this Saturday Night on the 40 acres, but If I had to guess, we are going to be tuned in for a good one. I expect this game to be a shootout with the edge slightly going to the Texas defense.
Horns enact some much needed revenge this week against the Trojans.
41-31 Texas wins.
CAP CITY FIGHT NIGHT
CAP CITY FIGHT NIGHT: UNDERWOOD PROMOTIONS
- No. 9 Baseball wins 7-6 to split series with No. 11 ArkansasLonghorns rally for 7-6 win over Razorbacks.
- Men's Basketball to host Xavier in NIT Second-Round Game on SundayThe Longhorns and Musketeers will play at the Erwin Center at 3 p.m. CT on ESPN.
- No. 2 Women's Swimming takes fifth in 800 free relay at NCAA ChampionshipsThe Longhorn relay dropped the third-fastest time in program history.
- Baseball announces inaugural 'Bark in the Park' presented by Nulo Pet FoodTickets on sale now for dogs to attend the Texas-Kansas State series finale on Sunday, April 14.
- Video: Watkins Award honors Roschon JohnsonEarly enrollee QB Roschon Johnson was recently honored by the Watkins Award in Washington, D.C.
- Men's Basketball defeats South Dakota State, 79-73Senior forward Dylan Osetkowski paced the Longhorns with a career-high 26 points.
/ 2 days ago
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – MARCH 19, 2019 – San Antonio Commanders wide receiver/punt returner...
/ 2 days ago
The cross-town district match-up has postseason indications BY DANIEL JONES On a chilly night...
/ 1 week ago
Andrew Felts, Round Rock Express With Opening Day on the horizon, the Round Rock...