BY DANIEL JONES
A year after losing in the final round of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC) tournament to Centenary College, and just a win away from going to regionals, Southwestern University’s baseball team has returned with more experience and an eagerness to up its game.
“Everyone’s got a lot of energy, a lot of pep in their step,” J.C. Bunch, the team’s head coach, said in early February.
Last season, the Georgetown, Texas-based Division III team finished with an 18-24 overall record ‒ 7-11 in the SCAC. At home, the Pirates went 12-12; but away games were a different story: just five wins in 15 away games. Coach Bunch said he was, despite the team’s losing record, pleased with how well Southwestern played at the end of the season and in the conference tournament.
The 2019 season began in mid-February, and conference play kicks off Friday and Saturday, March 15 and 16, with three away games at Schreiner University.
This year’s team lost some arms from 2018, but coach Bunch isn’t at all worried. “I think we have a deeper pitching staff than we had last year,” he said. “We’ve returned the nucleus of our pitching staff,” which includes three returning, right-handed hurlers ‒ sophomores Austin Smith and Aaron Clark and junior Colton Hunter. Smith had a 4-1 record last season in 11 total appearances on the mound, including six starts; Clark was 2-2 in 11 appearances; and Hunter was 3-4 in eight starts and 12 total trips to the mound.
Coach Bunch said two freshmen could “see meaningful innings.” They are local recruits Travis Harvey (Cedar Park High School) and Benjamin Ludwig (Westlake High School). And other relief pitchers who didn’t see as many innings last year will also be brought in more often to get batters out.
More depth on the mound means the Pirates can have more live scrimmages while simultaneously saving pitchers for games. “To get better,” coach Bunch said, “we have to actually play baseball. Batting practice doesn’t make you better; it’s live at-bats, it’s instant feedback from the pitcher.”
Offensively, he’d like to see this year’s team hit for a much higher average and hit for more power. Last year the Pirates hit .260 with just 12 bombs. Plus coach Bunch wants his players to come to the plate with more “intent,” he said ‒ to get in the batter’s box with a specific objective already in mind, whether it’s to advance a runner and get them in scoring position, or to disrupt a pitcher’s rhythm and confidence.
Most of Southwestern’s strongest offensive players have returned this season. Sophomore infielder Seth Spark hit .311 last year as a freshman. As a result, he was named to the American Baseball Coaches Association Division III’s West All-Region Third Team. Three seniors will lead the team and set an example for the younger, more inexperienced players. They are starting catcher Colby Schmidt, first baseman Cole Kelly, who in 2018 had a .300 batting average, and outfielder Ethan Hallmark ‒ a .306 career hitter.
“We’re cautiously optimistic with how this year’s going to go,” coach Bunch said. “But our goal every year is to find a way to get to the regional tournament.”
The Texas Sports Monthly PODCAST
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- UT Athletics announces 2023 Spring Commencement participantsA total of 111 current and former UT student-athletes are scheduled to participate in commencement exercises this weekend or are projected spring or summer 2023 graduates.
- The Longhorn Foundation launches the United Texas CircleThe United Texas Circle is a philanthropic giving society designed to support Texas Athletics across their greatest areas of need.