The magic in 2018 was unforgettable for the Horns as Cody Clemens led the way with clutch hitting and over 20 home-runs leading them to Omaha. It was remarkable to see and this season will try to get close to equivalence.
The Horns will be without short stop David Hamilton for the season as he suffered through an Achilles injury. The horns lost a total of five players from last season and some of the question marks are in some important aspects of this team most notable the pitching; referencing to Chase Shugart and Nolan Kingham.
The Longhorns bring in a challenging group and the expectation to win another Big 12 title and earn a top seed to Omaha. David Pierce is a fine coach at developing talent and fans will definitely keep an eye out for this promising group. There might be hiccups early in the season or there might be some progress. At this point the horns have earned a respectable 6-2 record to start the birth of the 2019 season. The offense should be the strength of this team even with the absence of Clemens. Pierce has turned this program into a competitive and strong one each and every year. They will lean on the bats of Tate Shaw, Austin Todd, Duke Ellis, and Ryan Reynolds.
The Disch has already hosted Purdue giving Texas a series win over a span of three games. Gaining this momentum has given them a confidence as they prepare for a battle with series against 2nd ranked LSU and #3 Texas Tech. If they can come out of this maybe splitting these two it’s a success and and will direct them into the right direction.
With Pierce’s strength and knowledge regarding his team, there’s a stability that he will put his players in the right positions to win. A one game at a time mentality for this young rebirthing team is the right thing to do and the leadership from Pierce will definitely be used. Once this team gets their feet underneath them and the hard work they portray this season they should be able to match the success. The expectation is not out of reach. We’ll get a real feel once they face the Red Raiders. And they will see them again down the line. It’s not a failure if you see them go back and forth and maybe going just 1-2. They have time and with a respectable 6-2 record it can only get better. The uncertainty of how they’ll start the season is behind us and now it’s time to turn up the notch. There will be bumps and bruises but the grind will hopefully turn this team into the team to beat in the BIG 12. Grab a seat, get some popcorn, and Hook ‘EM.
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- Big Boi to headline Longhorn City Limits presented by Still Austin Whiskey Co. on September 16AUSTIN, TEXAS – Seven-time GRAMMY award winner Big Boi, one-half of OutKast, will headline Longhorn City Limits presented by Still Austin Whiskey Co. on Saturday, Sept. 16. The FREE gameday concert, located on the LBJ Lawn, will open at 3 p.m. with live music prior to the Texas Football vs. Wyoming game at 7 p.m.
- Video: Bill Little tribute on LHN's "Texas GameDay"Texas GameDay paid tribute to Texas Hall of Honor member Bill Little.