MINNEAPOLIS —Defense wins Championships they say in Football usually. And in Lubbock the Texas Tech defense froze up Tom Izzo and the blue blood program of Michigan State as Chris Beards Red Raiders got all over the Spartans in the 61-51 decision at U.S. Bank Stadium Saturday Night.
Michigan State made it’s eighth Final Four trip in 21 years while Texas Tech, a program with 17 tournament appearances and 12 conference championships scattered in 94 seasons haven’t made a final eight slot until last year.
When Michigan State’s Tom Izzo, spoke with coach Beard, “He mentioned our toughness,” Beard said, “and that word means a lot in our program.”
What does 57, 58, 44, 69 and 51 mean to the Red Raiders stat-sheet? It’s the total amount of points given up in the tournament so far by there tough defense. Just 55.8 a game.
The Road to the Title
Texas Tech coasted themselves into the Elite Eight, having won its first three tournament games by double digits, including a 19-point thumping over Michigan. The Red Raiders held the Wolverines to just 44 points in the Sweet 16, then went on to a thunderous win of 75-69 over No. 1 Gonzaga to reach their first Final Four ever. Chris Beard’s team so far hasn’t been in any nail-biters in the last few minutes of any games as they have grind thru the NCAA tournament to the Final Four.
1 game left. Only Coach Bennett and his squad of Cavaliers stand in the way of Texas Tech this Monday night for 2019 Men’s NCAA Championship.
APRIL COVER TEXAS SPORTS MONTHLY
104.9 THE HORN FM Commerical
- Video: Women's Golf Tower lightingThe Texas women's golf team celebrated its 2019 Big 12 Championship.
- No. 2 Men’s Tennis places four selections on Big 12 All-Tournament TeamThe group includes junior Christian Sigsgaard and seniors Harrison Scott and Rodrigo Banzer in singles, along with Sigsgaard and Scott in doubles.
- Women's Tennis' Anna Turati, Granic earn spots on Big 12 All-Tournament TeamTurati selected at No. 2 singles, while Granic earns honor at No. 3 singles.
- Video: Andrew Jones' fight for his life (ESPN.com)Men's Basketball guard Andrew Jones opens up about his battle with leukemia and journey back to the court with Holly Rowe.
- Video: Colt McCoy and Sam Ehlinger conversation (ESPN.com)The two sat down with each other for Longhorn Network and shared their experiences of being the Texas quarterback.
- No. 7 Women’s Tennis falls in Big 12 Championship finalUT drops a hard-fought 4-2 decision at No. 20 Kansas in Sunday's championship match.
/ 1 week ago
Lil’Jordan Humphrey wasn’t exactly expected to become a generational talent at Texas, though that’s...
/ 2 weeks ago
At some point in life, you’ve likely heard the encouraging phrase, “Hard work pays...