MINNEAPOLIS —Defense wins Championships they say in Football usually. And in Lubbock the Texas Tech defense froze up Tom Izzo and the blue blood program of Michigan State as Chris Beards Red Raiders got all over the Spartans in the 61-51 decision at U.S. Bank Stadium Saturday Night.
Michigan State made it’s eighth Final Four trip in 21 years while Texas Tech, a program with 17 tournament appearances and 12 conference championships scattered in 94 seasons haven’t made a final eight slot until last year.
When Michigan State’s Tom Izzo, spoke with coach Beard, “He mentioned our toughness,” Beard said, “and that word means a lot in our program.”
What does 57, 58, 44, 69 and 51 mean to the Red Raiders stat-sheet? It’s the total amount of points given up in the tournament so far by there tough defense. Just 55.8 a game.
The Road to the Title
Texas Tech coasted themselves into the Elite Eight, having won its first three tournament games by double digits, including a 19-point thumping over Michigan. The Red Raiders held the Wolverines to just 44 points in the Sweet 16, then went on to a thunderous win of 75-69 over No. 1 Gonzaga to reach their first Final Four ever. Chris Beard’s team so far hasn’t been in any nail-biters in the last few minutes of any games as they have grind thru the NCAA tournament to the Final Four.
1 game left. Only Coach Bennett and his squad of Cavaliers stand in the way of Texas Tech this Monday night for 2019 Men’s NCAA Championship.
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- Five Longhorns named to CoSIDA Academic All-District Men’s and Women’s At-Large teamsFoster, Hammer, Kibler, Knifton and Kouskova advance to national ballot for Academic All-America consideration.
- UT Athletics announces 2022 Spring Commencement participantsA total of 96 current and former UT student-athletes are scheduled to participate in commencement exercises this weekend or are projected spring or summer 2022 graduates.