We can be sure about this for the 2018 iteration of the New Orleans Saints: they will be explosive. On the defensive side of the ball, their aggressive play has offenses struggling to keep their hands on the ball. The Saints pulled in a solid 42 sacks and 25 takeaways in the 2017 season, and with the influx of talent like rookie Marcus Davenport to complement Cameron Jordan, those numbers could increase. The talent is there, but the consistency hasn’t been.
The Saints defense will need to improve on that No. 17 total ranking in 2017, and the talent is there to do it.The offensive side of the ball will blend veteran leadership and rookie speed. Alvin Kamara, the 2017 Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Mark Ingram will form a formidable backfield once Ingram returns from suspension for PEDs.
The Saints offensive line is solid as well, not star
studded or dominant, but definitely in the upper echelon of the NFL.
The X-Factor on this team is Drew Brees. So far, the 17-year career of the grizzled quarterback
has defied both doctors and expectations. However, he has shown signs of aging in recent
seasons. Brees is still elite, don’t misunderstand me, but with the youth at the skill positions he
can’t afford to be anything less than elite if the Saints are to build on their 2017 season.
New Orleans is still one of the best teams in the whole NFC, and should win the NFC South.
Whether they can take that extra step and be one of the best teams in the NFL remains to be
The Texas Sports Monthly PODCAST
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- In Memoriam: Red McCombsTexas Athletics remembers Red McCombs.
- Texas Athletics Town Hall with Chris Del Conte Tonight at 6 p.m. CTThe annual Texas Athletics Town Hall with Athletics Director Chris Del Conte