WACO — Killeen Harker Heights made a first-round exit on Thursday, Nov. 11 following a 65-28 loss to state power DeSoto in a Class 6A Division I playoff matchup at Waco ISD Stadium.
The Eagles (10-2) soared to a commanding lead in the first half, striking for 21 points in the opening quarter and another 24 in the second to head into halftime up 45-14 against the Knights (9-2). Harker Heights tacked on two more touchdowns in the final stanza, but DeSoto’s offense countered with 20 points to secure the rout.
The Eagles rolled up 603 yards in the game and were led by quarterback Matthew Allen, who was 19 of 27 passing for 209 yards and four TDs. Allen added 81 rushing yards, and teammate Christopher Henley Jr. led the ground game with 95 yards and a pair of scores on 23 carries.
DeSoto’s aerial attack competed a pass to 10 different receivers against Harker Heights, with junior Johntay Cook Jr. hauling in three passes for 51 yards and two scores to lead the committee. Freshman Daylon Singleton caught a 50-yard TD during the lopsided win.
The Knights were led by junior running back Re’Shaun Sanford, who ran for 151 yards and a score on 21 carries. Sophomore QB Dylan Plake was 14 of 28 passing for 124 yards and three TDs, and his top target on the night was senior Marcus Maple, who made eight receptions for 63 yards and a score.
The Eagles advanced to the area round, where they defeated Rockwall 49-28. DeSoto moves on to face Houston Westfield in the regional round of the 6A DI postseason.
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- Five Longhorns named to CoSIDA Academic All-District Men’s and Women’s At-Large teamsFoster, Hammer, Kibler, Knifton and Kouskova advance to national ballot for Academic All-America consideration.
- UT Athletics announces 2022 Spring Commencement participantsA total of 96 current and former UT student-athletes are scheduled to participate in commencement exercises this weekend or are projected spring or summer 2022 graduates.