NEW YORK – Every where Garrett Wilson has played at, he has been a winner. At Austin Lake
Travis, he won a 6A-I state title in 2016 and lost in the finals in 2017 and semis in 2018, both to
teams who would go on and win the title. He had a lot of success at Ohio State where the wins
were plenty even though they did not win an SEC Invitational, I mean CFP, title. The great news
for Wilson is that he will be in the NFL in 2022. The bad news is the team he is playing for
hasn’t made the playoffs since Wilson was in grade school.
On draft night many thought he would end up in Green Bay, always a threat to play in February,
or Atlanta, a team that has had a mix of successful and unsuccessful season. Instead he ended
up with the New York Jets. The Jets haven’t made the tournament since 2011 and is a
franchise known for many failures whose only success was Joe Namath’s guarantee in 1969.
Not only is his challenge playing a team that lost more games in 2021 than Wilson lost in all his
years at Lake Travis and Ohio State combined, he also has the challenge of the New York
media. The NY media is well known for crucifying teams and athletes. The Jets, Mets, Knicks,
and Rangers have won next to nothing and are used to having awful seasons which the media
and fans love to tee off on. Not only will Wilson have to deal with playing on a losing team for
the 1st time in his career but also the headlines that the media will write.
Having gotten to know his dad Kenneth, Garrett is well trained and ready for what might come at
him in the papers and on the field in the AFC East. Buffalo has had a great last few years after
18 years of poor play. New England is no longer the dynasty they were but are still almost
always in the playoffs. Miami has been 1 win short each of the last 2 years of getting into the
tournament. The wild cards will mostly come from the AFC West and perhaps the east though
New York right now is just trying to find wins under coach Robert Saleh and 2nd year
quarterback Zach Wilson.
Could Garrett Wilson be the savior that gets the Jets out of a 10-year dark hole? If he is, he
might be working a miracle even Mother Theresa couldn’t do.
Youtube The Texas High School Sports Machine
- 2019 Season - Week 12Area Round of the 2019 Central Texas High School Playoffs as the tournaments continue. Lake Travis has a rematch against San Antonio Madison at Rattlers Stadium in San Marcos. Westlake would go on the Win the State Championship while Cavs would defeat Judson again in 3rd round at the Alamodome but would fall the following […]
- 2019 Season - Week 11Steve and Russell breakdown the 2019 High School Playoffs in Central Texas on 104.9 Horn FM. Bi-District week where districts collide in this first round. McCallum and Westwood battled out....Giddings defeated Houston Kashmir 50-0. Georgetown at LBJ, Lake Travis at Smithson Valley, Vandegrift hosts Bridgeland at home led by Jax Mccauley in a close comeback […]
- 2019 Season - Week 10Russell & Steve cover week 11 on our 10th show as teams get near the playoffs and districts begin to line up as teams edge each other out for the final playoff spots. Russell became a grandpa the night before this show. . . Vista Ridge beat Round Rock 41-38.
- 2019 Season - Week 9Week 9 of The Friday Night Countdown on 104.9 Horn FM is your Pre-Game for Central Texas High School Football for 2019 Season! Thursday Night games we rained out and delayed. Weiss winning 14-7 over Eastview.
- Video: Longhorn Greatday with Boys & Girls Clubs of the Austin AreaTexas student-athletes spent a day with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Austin.
- Texas Lottery Veteran Recognition: Stan M. BrooksStan M. Brooks has served his country and greater global community as both a protector of freedom and shepherd of opportunity and achievement. First, Brooks joined the U.S. Army Air Forces and was assigned as a crew member whose unit operated low-flying attack bombers during the Mediterranean combat campaign of World War II. Then, following […]